Acceptable Use Policy For The Ntl IP Network
NTL has published this Acceptable Use Policy as part of its overall effort to provide high quality, reliable service to its customers; protect the privacy and security of its customers, systems, and networks; encourage responsible use of NTL's resources; and comply with applicable laws.
1.0.1 This Policy describes the types of uses of the NTL IP Network which are contrary to our objectives and which are, therefore, prohibited. To achieve our objectives, NTL may in its sole discretion determine whether a use of the NTL IP Network is a violation of this Policy. While it is not NTL's intent to monitor, control, or censor communications on the NTL IP Network, when we become aware of a violation of this Policy, we may take such action, as we deem appropriate to address the violation, as referenced below.
1.0.2 This Policy applies to all customers of NTL's IP services and to all other users of the NTL IP Network. This Policy supplements, but does not supersede, the contracts that customers have with NTL; if such a contract restricts a use of the NTL IP Network that is not addressed in this Policy, the contract will govern with respect to such use.
2.0 Prohibited Uses
Uses of the NTL IP Network described below are prohibited under this Policy. These descriptions are guidelines and are not intended to be exhaustive.
3.0 Illegal/ Criminal Activity
The NTL IP Network may not be used in connection with criminal or civil violations of state, federal, or international laws, regulations, or other government requirements. Such violations include theft or infringement of copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, or other type of intellectual property; fraud; forgery; theft or misappropriation of funds, credit cards, or personal information; and threats of physical harm or harassment.
4.0 Proper usage of resources provided by NTL
4.0.1 The customer shouldn't register the IP addresses provided by NTL anywhere in the internet without the written acceptance from NTL.
4.0.2 The customer using the NTL Mail-relay services should ensure that their mail-servers are properly configured and protected by against third party relaying.
4.0.3 Reselling of the resources i.e. IP addresses, domain names provided by NTL is restricted.
5.0 Security Violations
The NTL IP Network may not be used in connection with attempts - whether or not successful - to violate the security of a network, service, or other system. Examples of system or network security violations include, without limitation, the following:
5.0.1 Unauthorized access to or use of data, systems or networks, including any attempt to probe, scan or test the vulnerability of a system or network or to breach security or authentication measures without express authorization of the owner of the system or network;
5.0.2 Unauthorized monitoring of data or traffic on any network or system without express authorization of the owner of the system or network;
5.0.3 Interference with service to any user, host or networking including, without limitation, mail bombing, flooding, probing, spoofing deliberate attempts to overload a system and broadcast attacks;
5.0.4 Forging of any TCP-IP packet header or any part of the header information in an email or a newsgroup posting.
NTL customers are responsible for maintaining the basic security of their systems to prevent their use by others in a manner that violates this Policy. Examples include improperly securing a mail server so that others to distribute Spam may use it, and improperly securing an FTP server so that others to illegally distribute licensed software may use it. Customers are responsible for taking corrective actions on vulnerable or exploited systems to prevent continued abuse.
The NTL IP Network may not be used to transmit materials of a threatening nature, including threats of death or physical harm, harassment, libel and defamation.
7.0 Offensive Materials
The NTL IP Network may not be used for the distribution of offensive materials, including obscene, pornographic, indecent, and hateful materials.
Spam is an unacceptable use of the NTL IP Network. Spam includes any of the following activities.
- 8.0.1 Posting a single message or messages similar in content, to more than five online forums or newsgroups.
- 8.0.2 Posting messages to online forums or newsgroups that violate the rules of the forums or newsgroups.
- 8.0.3 Collecting the responses from unsolicited email.
- 8.0.4 Sending any unsolicited email that could be expected, in NTL's discretion, to provoke complaints.
- 8.0.5 Sending email with charity requests, petitions for signatures, or any chain mail related materials.
- 8.0.6 Sending unsolicited email without identifying in the email a clear and easy means to be excluded from receiving additional email from the originator of the email.
- 8.0.7 Sending email that does not accurately identify the sender, the sender's return address, and the email address of origin.
- 8.0.8 Using NTL facilities to violate another Internet Service Provider's acceptable use policy and/ or terms of service.
- 8.0.9 Sending Junk E-mails, informational announcements, commercial advertisements to the users who specifically didn't request for that material.
9.0 Indirect Access
In addition, this policy applies to any email or content transmitted by you or on your behalf which uses an NTL account as a mailbox for responses or promotes content hosted or transmitted using NTL facilities, or which indicates in any way that NTL was involved in the transmission of such email or content.
- 10.0.1 Violations of this Policy may result in a demand for immediate removal of offending material, immediate temporary or permanent filtering, blocked access, suspension or termination of service, or other action appropriate to the violation, as determined by NTL in its sole discretion.
- 10.0.2 We are authorized to block particular IP address host/ network which is provided by NTL if it involves in any kind of ILLEGAL/ CRIMINAL activity over the Internet. When feasible, it is NTL's preference to give notice so that violations may be addressed voluntarily; however, NTL reserves the right to act without notice when necessary, as determined by NTL in its sole discretion. NTL may involve, and will cooperate with, law enforcement if criminal activity is suspected.
- 10.0.3 Violators may also be subject to civil or criminal liability under applicable law. Refunds or credits are not issued in connection with actions taken for violations of this Policy.
11.0 Incident Reporting
Any complaints regarding violations of this Policy by a NTL customer should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Where possible, include details that would assist NTL in investigating and resolving the complaints (i.e. expanded headers and a copy of the offending transmission).
12.0 Contact Information
Please contact the NTL abuse desk by sending email to email@example.com.